Custom fields in LiquidPlanner are a great way to categorize your projects and tasks. Here are some of the benefits that come from using the custom fields feature:
- You can create up to 10 custom task fields and 10 custom project fields.
- You can filter by custom fields.
- You can capture custom fields in an Analytics or Timesheet Export.
We know there are a number of ways to use custom fields, but sometimes it’s nice to have some suggestions. (To learn how to create and set fields, read our Custom Fields Help page.)
Here a 4 different ways we’ve seen custom fields used in LiquidPlanner:
1. To identify stages of a task or project
- Pending, active or closing
- Spec, design, development or testing
- Prospect, needs assessment, proposal, close or retention
- Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 3
- Round 1, Round 2 or Round 3
2. To identify attributes of the task or project
- Bug, feature request, usability, performance or issue
- Initiative: branding, retention, strategy, growth or security
- Change Type: Data, hot fix, maintenance or scope change
- The department that the project belongs to: Marketing, Sales, Development, Finance, HR
- Projects for different campuses/branches/offices, i.e.,: east branch, north branch or Geneva office, New York office, Cleveland office, Tokyo office
- Internal Codes: FNF – Fit and Finish, KB – Knowledge Base, MISC-Miscellaneous
- Billing: Free, annual license, monthly license or discount customer
3. To identify risk/priority level of a task or project
- Risk Category: Functional, operational or technical
- Risk Priority: 1-High, 2-Medium or 3-Low
- Risk Proximity: 0-Risk Occurred, 1-Very Likely, 2-Likely, 3-Possible, 4-Unlikely or 5-Very Unlikely
- Prioritization level: High/Medium/Low or Red/Yellow/Green
- Severity: Critical, Moderate, Minor, Cosmetic
4. To identify attributes of the client associated to a project
- Customer Verticals: IT, Healthcare, Finance, Education, Government,
- Customer Size: 0-50, 51-100, 101-300, 301-500, 501+
- Type of Customer: Domestic or international
- Line of Business: North America, Europe, Asia, South America
- Contract Size: $0-$10k, $10k – $30k, $30k – $50k or $50k – $100k
Have you used custom fields in other creative ways? Leave us a comment and share your ideas!