The Convert Item feature allows you to quickly change a plan item from one type to another (with some limitations). For instance, if you create a task called “Contract Signed” and decide later that it should be a milestone instead, you can easily convert the task to a milestone and the item’s content will be carried over.
Via the Edit Menu
- On the Projects tab, select the item to convert.
- Click on Edit Menu > Convert Item.
Via the Edit Panel
Plan items can also be converted via the Edit Panel:
Allowed Item Types
Below are the plan items that can be converted, and what type of item they can be converted to:
|Item:||Can be converted to:|
|Task||Milestone, Full-Day and Partial-Day Event|
|Milestone||Task, Full-Day and Partial-Day Event|
|Full-Day Event||Task, Milestone, Partial-Day Event|
|Partial-Day Event||Task, Milestone, Full-Day Event|
Here are some things to keep in mind when converting certain types of plan items:
- When converting a multiple owner partial-day event into a task, each owner will be given an assignment with an estimate equal to the duration of the event. For example, a multiple-owner partial day event on 12/26 from 9-11am, would be turned into a task with assignments of 2-2 hours for each owner. If the event is set to recur, the task will have an estimate equal to the duration of all events in the cycle. For example, a partial-day event set to recur on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9-10 am for 3 weeks would be converted into a task with an estimate of 6-6 hours for each owner.
- Recurring partial-day events converted into milestones or full-day events will fall on the event’s Start [E].
- Full day events and milestones assigned to “everyone” that are converted to tasks are “unassigned.”
- Converting a sub-folder to a project can’t be undone. It is not possible to convert a project back to a sub-folder.