Workspace owners and administrators can remove members from the workspace via the People tab by hovering over the appropriate member row and clicking the Disconnect link in the Actions column:
Before Disconnecting a Member
There are few important things to consider before disconnecting a member from your workspace.
Transferring Plan Items
You may want to reassign that person’s active tasks and assignments to a different team member, or to a virtual member if you don’t yet know who will take over that work. To do this, click the Transfer Items link for that person. Note that you have the option to transfer done tasks as well as active tasks.
Here are some important things to note:
- Transferring ownership does not transfer the history of activity for that task. For example, timesheet entries made by the person being disconnected will remain intact, and separate from any time entries made by the new task owner.
- After tasks are transferred, the previous member’s assignment will be marked done.
- There is no way to filter the project plan for tasks owned by a disconnected member. This is a good reason to consider transferring ownership before disconnecting.
- If you do not transfer items, the items that are assigned to disconnected members will display the person’s name in red in the Owner field.
If there are inactive members in the workspace, disconnecting a paid member will automatically transfer that paid seat to the inactive member who joined the workspace first. That means an inactive person now has access to your workspace. This is likely someone who was in your space during the trial period but did not continue on as a paid seat. If that’s a problem, you should take this opportunity to disconnect all inactive members.
If you don’t have inactive members in the workspace, disconnecting a paid member will free up a paid seat to be used by someone new that you invite into the workspace.
If you don’t intend to fill that paid seat with a new member, be sure to reduce your seat count before the next billing cycle! Go to your User Menu > Settings > Billing and Purchasing > Billing Summary and select Remove Seats to make changes.
After Disconnecting a Member
- Workspace owners, administrators and managers can view disconnected members on the People tab by clicking the Filter and checking the box to Show Disconnected Members.
- A disconnected member’s tasks and assignments can be transferred to a different member by hovering over the Actions column on the disconnected member row and clicking the Transfer Items link.
- The action of disconnecting a member is recorded in the Audit Log.